the ability to think about or plan the future with imagination or wisdom.
I really enjoyed last night. It was actually not THAT different from what we normally do, we sit around and talk about plans all the time. But, last night we were serious and intentional. I had my best friends over for a vision board craft night…”vision board happy hour.”
I saw the article floating around Facebook about doing this. The last few years it’s become some what of a THING. Even read an article on the Steve Harvey Show website on it.
I thought it would be fun to do this with my nearest and dearest. So, that’s exactly what we did.
Here’s how it went:
1. Supplies: Since I was hosting, I got some supplies and snacks. A few extra poster boards, glue, magazines, and scissors. Everyone brought some stuff of their own as well.
2. Food: We had meatballs, turkey sliders, fruit, chips & salsa and wine. Light and easy snacks. Didn’t want everyone too full to think.
3. Music: There was some easy listening in the background. Lauryn Hill always gets me in a good headspace so she was in the mix. Just found a good playlist and had it soft in the background.
4. Next, I gave everyone a sheet of paper. On it, they were given categories to consider. 1. Personal 2. Relationships 3. Spiritual 4. Financial 5. Health and Wellness 6. Bucket List
Everyone took a moment to think about and write down a goal/vision they have for themselves in each category. Then, we took turns sharing them with one another.
5. After sharing we got to flipping through magazines, eating more food, sipping more wine, and just got to work on our boards. We cut out things that we felt represent our vision categories and more.
It was really eye opening for me. I spend time with my sisters all the time, but there were still some things I heard that I was not aware of. Some things that prompted me to jot down prayer requests on a sheet of paper next to their names. Today in my quiet time I’m going to pray for each one of my sisters. Especially now that I know some of their heart’s desires.
It is so important to remember that we must go deeper than the surface with our loved ones. We need to know some of each other’s goals and struggles…that way we can encourage and bring them to Jesus in prayer.
Some of us were able to finish our boards last night and some of us had to save some for later (it was a work night), but all of us got a great start at creating something awesome.
I haven’t decided where I’ll hang my board to see it daily. But, I put it in a frame that I bought from the IKEA clearance section for $3. Win. I think it looks pretty cool.
I’m really excited about what the future holds for me. No, I wasn’t able to get all of my goals onto this board, but it’s a good start. As the year goes on, I’ll do some of these things and some I may not. But, what’s important is I will be attempting to do it. I’m so happy I have friends with vision as well.
However, seeking God’s plan for my life is at the center of my vision, so I won’t go wrong with that.
What’s your vision?
Leave one of your goals in the comments so that I can pray for you.